Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Following Twitter

Ok, so I read about Twitter during SXSW, but didn't feel like figuring it out just then, but when I read about it above the fold in the paper copy of Financial Times that Robert brings me every morning (God it's heaven working at the Library), well, I realized I better get cracking. So I visited the site, signed up, and waited for some light to go on making it all make sense. Of course, that didn't happen. So I read a few blog entries about what all the hoopla is about (this one on the "Several Habits of Wildly Successful Twitter Users" is a good one, maybe a little more than I needed to know, but, that's ok), and pondered how this might be a good thing. Still nothing.

I chatted with a fellow Library worker, actually, a real live librarian, Lexie, and we both agreed it would be something to look into, maybe like live chat, but you know, it's not really like that. Well, that was that. I turned to other things.

Then, this morning when I logged on, I saw that Tim O'Reilly's RSS headline was "Twitter ETech!" and I followed the link and voila! Suddenly it's making sense. Just reading a couple of entries from the "friends" who are at ETech (O'Reilly's Emerging Technology Conference 2007 in San Diego) made me smile. I almost felt like I was there. It is funny, fun, informative, and potentially a big time sink... Well, what else have I got to do? Actually, 4 things are due this week, including the maddening crossword puzzle problem, the maddening xml markup project and a french test with written and oral parts. So, I'll keep it running in a Firefox window and check it out from time to time, mainly because, like everything else, there's no better way to learn it than to do it (my mantra as I slog through tedious grad school required courses).

No comments: