Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Interviewing the French Librarian about the Future of Libraries


I'm preparing for a trip to France in a little over 2 weeks and I'm just now nailing down my interview questions. I need to review a couple of books I've read earlier about the Google digitization project (Jeanneney's book and the book about Google and Libraries from a conference a year or so ago). I guess in a way I can't quite believe I am doing this. I've felt like I was in a dream for almost a year now, and going to France just seems like part of an unreal experience. And yet, I have a plane ticket, a TGV ticket, hotel reservations in Paris, a friend to stay with in Lyon, and a couple of libraries to visit and librarians to talk to. Wow, what a life.

This caps off my first year as a grad student. I will be writing up some sort of non-traditional report of this part of my research, in which I hope to include video, images, sounds, as well as text. I want to use some sort of innovative publishing mechanism. I was hoping to use Sophie, from Institute for the Future of the Book (if:book), but it is so alpha that it is hopeless for me to figure it out well enough to create a reliable presentation platform for a research project. So, I'll have to figure out some other platform. Bottom line though: no "paper." If I am going to research the future of the book for the next couple of years, I am going to practice what I preach, so to speak. Besides, it's more fun that way.

So, off to Paris and Lyon (and the Cote d'Azure, with Zarah, for a 4 day weekend in the middle of the trip), and then back to a summer class on Systems of Human Inquiry, which apparently is going to familiarize me with all the major philosophers, which sounds like a cool way to spend 5 weeks. Hope it sticks!

No comments: